When signing a tenancy agreement landlords, agents or private accommodation providers may ask that you provide the details of someone who will be acting as your guarantor.

This guarantor will be responsible for any unpaid rent or damage to the property for the duration of the tenancy, should you not be able to pay for any reason.

In some cases, a tenancy may not be able to proceed should a guarantor not be provided and accepted.

In the instance that you may not have a guarantor the landlord, agent or private accommodation provider may ask that a large proportion of the rent is paid upfront.

It is recommended that any student unable to secure a guarantor contacts Home Stamp for a referral to the appropriate Student Advice Centre for free and impartial housing advice and support.